How to Make a Christmas Lantern
No nightmare before Christmas to see here. A great little centrepiece to any Christmas table display or put it on your bedroom windowsill so Father Christmas knows where to leave all your presents on Christmas Eve.
What you will need:
- Large clear empty jar (on old sweet or coffee jar is ideal)
- Snow spray
- Scissors or craft knife
- Thin black card
- Battery powered tea light/fairy lights or candle
- Sticky tape
How you do it
- Measure your jar’s circumference and cut a length of card long enough to go all the way around that is about half to three quarters the height of your jar
- Sketch out your template for the silhouette shapes you want to cut out. We have gone for Christmas trees and houses.
- Cut out the template. If you have older children or an adult helper on hand you could use a craft knife as we have to cut out more detailed shapes like the windows in the houses.
- Shake up the snow spray and spray around the jar in short bursts until you have the desired amount of snow on your jar. (stand back for this bit or you will end up with clumps of snow spray on your jar and yourself rather than a light dusting of snowfall - doh!!)
- Wrap the silhouette around the jar and secure into place with sticky tape
- Place the lights or candle inside your jar and stand back to admire your snowy creation!!
Our Useful Tips
- We went for a Nightmare Before Christmas theme with our black template but you could always change the colour of the card you use to match your own decorations or Christmas themes
- Candy canes, gingerbread men, nativity scenes or maybe Father Christmas and his sleigh would be great decorative ideas.
- Use to light up your garden for Christmas and New Year parties
How Did You Decorate Your Christmas Lantern?
Share your Christmas lanterns with us on our facebook page.
- Tags: christmas