Making A Strong Sandcastle
You Will Need
- Bucket and spade
What is the difference between wet and dry sand? How does it feel when you run it through your fingers? Will dry sand or wet sand make the better sandcastle?
- Make two sandcastles, now with dry sand and one with wet sand. (You'll need to go paddling in the sea to get your wet sand)
- What is it like using the dry sand to make your sandcastle? Is it easy or difficult?
- If you want to, try knocking your sandcastles down!
- Did you notice any difference between the two?
- Send us pictures of your sandcastles!
- Different beaches have different kinds of sand, so be sure to try experimenting wherever you go.
- Sand can be used to make other things than just castles - let your imagination run wild, see what you can make, and send us pictures of your creations.
- Digging a channel around your castle and out to the sea is a great way to give your castle a real moat
Spotty Otter and Sandcastles
Squid and Me Articles
Making Sand Boats - Were We the First in the World to Do This?