Nana Starky’s Christmas Biscuits
- Ready in: 30 minutes
- Complexity: easy
- 175g/6 oz butter
- 225g/8oz soft brown sugar
- finely grated zest of one lemon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 350g/12oz self raising flour
- selection of hard boiled fruit sweets
- Preheat the oven to 190C. (Gas Mark 5)
- Mix together the butter, sugar and lemon zest.
- Beat the egg into the mixture.
- Add the flour and fold into the mixture.
- Knead together to make a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface until it is about 1cm thick.
- Use Christmas-shaped cutters to make snowmen, stars and Christmas tree shaped biscuits.
- Cut a hole in each of the biscuits. The lid from a food colouring jar is just the right size.
- Take the wrappers off your boiled sweets and place them in a bag. Then smash them to pieces with a rolling pin.
- Place the broken bits of boiled sweets into the centre of the biscuits.
- Make a small hole in each biscuit using a straw. This is where you will put your string or ribbon to hang them on the tree.
- Place the biscuits on an oven tray and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until they are lightly golden. The boiled sweets will have melted to make a nice (and tasty) glass window.
- Transfer the biscuits onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, thread ribbon through the holes in the biscuits and hang on your Christmas tree.