Breadsticks on a Camp Fire
- Complexity: easy
- 500g self raising flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 300-500ml water
- Combine the sugar and flour in a bowl
- Add about half the water and mix. Hands are best at this stage but you could also use a wooden spoon as it gets very sticky as the ingredients begin to bind together
- Occasionally add small amounts of water until it starts to form a large lump. You may or may not need all the water it needs to be smooth but not too wet.
- Carry on kneading the dough for approximately 5 minutes until you are happy with the consistency.
- Choose your stick. To stop the stick from burning whilst cooking, dampen it with water.
- Divide the dough into ping pong sized balls and roll into snakes. Try not to roll them too thick as they will take longer cook through. An adult’s finger width is the perfect thickness as a guide.
- Twist around the end of your stick, spacing evenly and leaving a little room for it to rise/expand.
- To cook your bread it is best to use the embers of a fire, this will make sure that it cooks through properly and turn a golden brown colour. Trying to cook your bread in the flames will result in it getting covered in soot and tasting pretty bad!